Top Five Places to Find Free Boxes As we mentioned in our financial planning blog, moving can be a costly endeavor, but there are many ways to save a few bucks. One cost saving measure may require a little more legwork, but can save you quite a few bucks in the long run – free boxes.
Start looking for boxes about two months out from your move. Ideally, you want to accumulate over the span of a month then start packing your belongings about a month out from your move. Once you start looking it is amazing how many places you will start to see free boxes. But buyer beware, sometimes you get what you pay for when it comes to boxes. So be picky and try to only collect sturdy boxes that are in good shape. If you don’t mind some odd sizes that might be tricky to organize into a trailer or moving truck, sourcing out free boxes can save you some cash.
With that in mind, here are five great places to find boxes in abundance!
- Workplace – Odds are many boxes come and go through your place of business. Whether they are delivery boxes or product shipments, a thrifty mover will recognize what boxes could be useful for your move
- Craigslist.org – A quick search for “Free Boxes” will yield many results in your home town. Often times the boxes you will find here are worn around the edges, but are still good. Be sure to only deal locally with individuals you can meet in person.
- Freecycle.org – This site features nothing but free items offered by people in your town. This could also be a good place to find paper and packing materials. Plus, after your move you can play it forward and repost your boxes!
- Liquor stores – These boxes are compact, colorful and tough which makes them great for moving and storing. The only drawback is the odd and inconsistent shapes you will find. However, this is a plus if you are a fan of Tetris!
- McDonald’s Fry Boxes – It may sound odd (and maybe a little gross), but these tough little boxes are gaining something of a fan following. Since the fries are shipped packaged and frozen, the boxes are not greasy. Plus, you can usually get several same-size boxes in one trip! You may need to chat with a store manager to find out when they receive shipments, but it is well worth the effort.
If you are short on time or you would prefer to use professional grade boxes, ask your Blue Ox Moving Planner about including packing supplies as part of your move and we can have them delivered to your front door.
After your move, consider recycling your used boxes or storing them for friends and family. If you choose to store them, collapse your boxes and keep them in a dry place. You never know when you might need them again!